Financial Management for Nurses
(Specialisation: Nursing Leadership)
Unit code: HNO7007
Credit points: 12
This unit provides students with a comprehensive understanding of financial management in health care settings. Financial acumen is an important skill for nurse managers in the complex healthcare environment. The unit takes a multidisciplinary approach to develop advanced analytical, planning and decision-making skills. Students will demonstrate a variety of financial decision making skills to take on effective business and financial management functions. Students will also demonstrate how to manage healthcare business units in a fiscally appropriate way.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify challenges for financial managers in a healthcare context;
- Work with and analyse budgets used in healthcare settings;
- Utilise key accounting terms and principles of financial information and control to healthcare administration;
- Demonstrate an understanding of key accounting principles, terms and language; and
- Analyse and interpret the information contained in basic financial statements to draw conclusions about financial performance, financial position, liquidity, and risk of firms in the healthcare sector.
Assignment: Challenges for financial managers (500 words) - 10%
Presentation: Financial reporting and management skills (2000 words) - 40%
Research Paper: Financial leadership in a healthcare setting (2500 words) - 50%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Nursing, specialisation in Nursing Leadership