Public Health Program Management
Unit code: HPO6005
Credit points: 12
Health planning and evaluation are part of the ongoing cycle of development, improvement and adaptation in public health program management. A public health project represents a single, focused action in public health. A program is a collection of projects that complement each other to assist the program in achieving its overall objectives. This unit examines the principles, frameworks and methods in planning, implementing and evaluating public health programs and projects. It also explores how public health program management is used to improve population health through addressing the social determinants of health. Students will apply concepts and approaches of systems thinking, human rights, and capacity building and participation to the program management cycle. Using case studies students will use program management methods and tools to effectively design, manage and evaluate public health programs. The unit is underpinned by the use of evidence-based program management and the importance of aligning program management with global and national policies and commitments.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Exemplify the principles and frameworks for program planning and management in response to existing and emerging global health challenges;
- Prescribe and employ systems thinking tools and methodologies to Identify the need for a public health intervention and prioritise solutions to improve population health;
- Rationalise human rights principles and participatory approaches to the design of public health programs and projects;
- Align public health program design within global, national and local frameworks, policies and commitments; and
- Critique and substantiate mechanisms to monitor and evaluate public health programs and projects for efficacy, quality and accessibility using a health equity lens.
Contribution to a discussion board on why public health program management is needed to improve population health (500 words) - 10%
Needs assessment on an identified public health issue in a selected community (2000 words) - 40%
Project proposal on identified public health issue in a selected community (2500 words) - 50%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Public Health