Unit code: HNO6007
Credit points: 12
This unit prepares students to devise, design and assess professional development programs for the healthcare setting. Students will work through the process of developing an effective professional development offering by identifying a workplace learning need to be addressed. Students will then develop goals and objectives and formulate an education program to address the identified need. By critically reflecting on the principles of adult learning and education, including heutagogy, students will cross-examine and advocate the use of different teaching strategies required to deliver professional development across diverse settings.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Undertake a training needs analysis in a healthcare setting;
- Devise and design professional development programs for the healthcare setting;
- Exemplify skills in using the principles of planning cost effective professional development programs;
- Interrogate the concepts of preceptor/mentor/clinical educator and the implementation in specific healthcare education professional development models; and
- Articulate and demonstrate the communication skills required for effective facilitation of teaching and professional development in healthcare settings.
Assignment: Reflection (500 words) - 10%
Other: Planning a professional development program (2500 words) - 50%
Presentation: Effective professional development in healthcare settings (2000 words) - 40%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Nursing