Innovation in Aged Care Practice
(Specialisation: Chronic Disease and Ageing)
Unit code: HNO7002
Credit points: 12
This unit develops students' capability in the provision of care and support for older persons with multiple co-morbidities that reside in a variety of health contexts. The unit aims to explore and devise innovative care interventions and models of care, for patients, family and carers. It embraces interprofessional practice and collaboration within the health care team environment. Students will apply various client-centred strategies to plan, assess, implement, evaluate and support to care for older individuals living with a complex comorbidities/chronic health conditions. Students will also examine parameters of their professional legal and ethical practice, identify strengths-based nursing practice, utilise evidence-based research to translate this to practice. Critically analyse practices that maximise health and wellbeing of older persons across different populations.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Critique the practical and theoretical interventions and practice frameworks needed to work with older persons with a range of chronic health conditions and in ways that demonstrate cultural competence;
- Investigate the theoretical underpinnings of strengths-based nursing practice with older adults considering person-centred care;
- Critically reflect and develop an understanding of social, health and wellbeing issues that impact on the older person;
- Evaluate and devise evidence based innovative care interventions and models of care including interprofessional team-work, for patients, family and carers; and
- Investigate health care environments that enhance dementia care and overall well-being and translate evidenced based research about aged care into practice-based scenarios.
Assignment: Reflection (500 words) - 10%
Case Study: Working collaboratively within interprofessional teams (2500 words) - 50%
Assignment: The need for self-care (2000 words) - 40%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Nursing, specialisation in Chronic Disease and Ageing