Unit code: HPO7001
Credit points: 12
This unit provides students with the skills to lead global health projects and programs. Students will examine the contextual challenges facing leaders in global health by utilising a leadership process of scanning the environment, establishing a direction and influencing people to overcome challenges and achieve goals. Students will exhibit leadership skills needed to engage with local, national, and global stakeholders and organisations to design and implement effective global health programs. The unit critically examines the basic functions and principles of leadership, governance and management to co-create a vision, empower others, foster collaboration and share decision making. Students will demonstrate and apply negotiation and mediation skills to address global public health challenges and apply strategic principles of ethical reasoning and professional practice to advance health equity and social justice globally.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Critically review leadership, management and organisational theory and its application to public health.
- Demonstrate a systematic understanding of the challenges for the management, governance and leadership of public health projects, programs, networks and organisations globally.
- Exemplify a comprehensive understanding of the management tools available to systematically assess external and internal organisational drivers of change.
- Propose and apply negotiation and mediation skills to address global public health challenges.
- Exhibit leadership skills needed to engage with local, national, and global stakeholders and organisations to design and implement effective global health programs that advance health equity and social justice globally.
Identification of a contextual challenges facing leaders in global health (500 words) - 10%
Overcoming challenges facing global health programs (2000 words) - 40%
Principles of leadership for global health (2500 words) - 50%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Public Health.