Unit code: HPO7010
Credit points: 12
This unit challenges students to propose health promotion strategies designed to further drive change and impact across the social and ecological determinants of health. Students will build health promotion development skills through interrogation of health promotion approaches with vulnerable and diverse populations across the globe. This includes debate focused on the politics and policies which both support and hinder global health promotion strategies. Through a comprehensive critique of leaders in global health promotion and analysis of the strategies implemented to address contemporary global health challenges, this unit entails critical analysis of the health promotion strategies to realise the Sustainable Development Goals. Through cross examination of authentic health promotion actions in global disasters and pandemics, students will gain skills and knowledge to enable innovative, coherent and realistic approaches to advocate for change in global health.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Debate the politics, policies and processes which both support and hinder effective health promotion delivery with focus on social and ecological determinants of health.
- Critically evaluate leaders in global health promotion and their strategies to address global health priority areas.
- Interrogate the range of contemporary health promotion strategies currently in place for addressing global health challenges including the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Advocate innovative health promotion strategies to address health disparities encountered globally by diverse and vulnerable populations.
- Compose realistic and evidence-based health promotion projects with focus on health priority areas in disasters and pandemics.
Contribution to a discussion board on concepts in public health (500 words) - 10%
Critical analysis on social determinants of health (2500 words) - 50%
Policy Brief on a cause of action (2000 words) - 40%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Public Health.