Evidence and Research for Practice
Unit code: HNO6004
Credit points: 12
This unit investigates evidence-based research and its application in the healthcare setting. Students will develop and refine their skills in searching and critically reviewing and evaluating available nursing and healthcare research and evidence. Students will also learn to use critical appraisal tools to evaluate qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research. By examining systematic reviews to clarify how evidence is synthesised, students will critically appraise literature and identify gaps in current knowledge to design and develop research proposals and/or projects.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Articulate a timely and significant nursing issue for investigation;
- Formulate a research question and appropriate research methodologies for answering specific nursing research question(s);
- Review qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research using critical appraisal tools relating to answering a specific nursing research question(s);
- Design and propose a research proposals and/or project; and
- Critically reflect on and demonstrate understanding of ethical research conduct in practice.
Assignment: Statement of the Problem (500 words) - 10%
Assignment: Literature review (2500 words) - 50%
Assignment: Research Proposal (2000 words) - 40%