Unit code: BMO7005
Credit points: 12
This unit focuses on the key knowledge and skills required for successful business consulting. It will synthesise and leverage the competencies you have acquired in your earlier studies, which encompass accounting and finance, marketing, human resources and organisational change management, strategy and data analysis. The unit aims to develop capabilities which will allow you to pursue a career in consulting, or act as an effective internal consultant within an organisation. You will apply knowledge and skills acquired in the previous units of the course to effectively design, research and manage a business consulting project, deliver solutions and present practical recommendations to meet the needs of a real-world client, in an ethical manner. You will be involved in authentic engagement with a client and receive industry feedback, or draw on an industry case study, to address a complex business challenge. You will enhance your research and interpersonal skills, including problem-solving, collaboration, communication, customer-orientation and influencing.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Design an appropriate methodology and framework to address a complex business challenge based on research.
- Critically review and respond to a client project brief in an ethical manner, with attention to sustainability.
- Articulate and defend innovative solutions and recommendations that add value to a client's organisation.
- Exemplify interpersonal skills to collaborate and communicate effectively.
- Exhibit business acumen and professional experience.
- Critically reflect on individual development as an effective business consultant/leader.
Assignment: Proposal for consulting projects - 10%
Report: Group consulting report addressing client's business challenge - 60%
Presentation: Pitching the recommended solutions - 30%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Business Administration.