Unit code: BCO7000
Credit points: 12
Business analytics and visualisation focuses on uncovering business insights hidden in massive datasets using statistical models and algorithms. Visualisation is the vital component of analysing data and communicating insights to stakeholders. The unit equips students with foundational knowledge in business analytics and visualisation to be able to analyse business data, convert insights into business decisions and communicate results to stakeholders. Using open source software (R and Python), students are exposed to a range of business analytics approaches and algorithms, including tidy data presentation, various data wrangling approaches, data storytelling and visualisation basics. Using project workflow and working with real world data, students learn how to work with different datatypes, build and evaluate models, develop data visualisation and communicate insights to stakeholders.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Design an appropriate methodology and framework to address a complex business challenge based on research.
- Critically review and respond to a client project brief in an ethical manner, with attention to sustainability.
- Articulate and defend innovative solutions and recommendations that add value to a client's organisation.
- Exemplify interpersonal skills to collaborate and communicate effectively.
- Exhibit business acumen and professional experience.
- Critically reflect on individual development as an effective business consultant/leader.
Assignment: Proposal for consulting projects - 10%
Report: Group consulting report addressing client's business challenge - 60%
Presentation: Pitching the recommended solutions - 30%
This unit is studied as part of the online Master of Business Administration.